• Close menu

    Recognition of foreign qualifications

    In the recognition procedure the qualifications acquired in a foreign country are compared with the education of the corresponding occupation in Germany. It is examined if both the foreign and the German education are equivalent. This signifies that no essential differences may exist.

    When do I require a recognition of my qualifications?

    In Germany regulated and non-regulated occupations are distinguished. The regulated occupations may not be executed without an official recognition of the foreign qualifications as equivalent with the requirements set for this profession in Germany. Next to others, professions in the health sector (e.g. doctor, nurse etc.) and in education belong to the regulated occupations. The following link directs you to the list with all regulated occupations in Germany: List of regulated occupations.

    Non-regulated occupations don´t require a recognition for execution. Nevertheless, recognition or evaluation of the qualifications is advisable. It eases the career entry in Germany as it makes the foreign qualifications comparable and thus easier to understand for employers.

    Advice: You can initiate the process of recognition in your home country prior to entring Germany. Clarify if you are allowed to enter, live and work in Germany beforehand.


    The procedure of recognition is individual and every application is evaluated on a case-to-case basis. This enables the consideration of work experiences and further education next to simply evaluating the degree of graduation.

    The type of profession you want to work in in Germany determines which state authority is responsible for the process of recognition. Here you can identify the appropriate institution in your individual case: Recognition finder.

    At the appropriate institution the filled-in application form together with other documents (such as diplomas, certificates and job references) must be handed in. Which documents are required depends on the respective responsible institution. Also the form in which the documents must be handed in varies. In most cases institutions ask for certified copies and for certified German translations of the originals. Certified copies of German documents can be made by the citizen registration offices and by notaries. Usually citizen registration offices offer this service for less money. In both cases the original document is required for making the copy. Only officially certified interpreters can produce certified translations. This database contains all certified interpreters in your area.

    Advice: Ask the responsible institution which documents are required to be translated. In some cases translations aren´t necessary as personnel of the respective institution dispose of knowledge of the particular language.

    Important: Hand in copies exclusively. The documents won´t be returned to you after examination.

    Duration of the procedure

    When documents are complete the results will be available after three months.


    If in the process of recognition no relevant differences between the foreign education and the set of requirements of this profession in Germany are detected, a certificate of full recognition will be issued.

    If there are essential differences in the educations identified a certificate of partly recognition is granted. In order to work in a regulated occupation, exams and measures of further education have to be fulfilled so that deficits are compensated and full recognition can be achieved.

    Wirtschaftsregion Heilbronn-Franken GmbH | Weipertstraße 8-10 | 74076 Heilbronn | Telefon 0049 - 7131-7669-860


    Immer auf dem neuesten Stand – mit dem Newsletter der Wirtschaftsregion Heilbronn-Franken GmbH