• Close menu

    Entry to Germany

    EU-citizens and citizens from Iceland, Liechtenstein, Norway (European Economic Area) and Switzerland

    Citizen from European Union member states as well as citizen from Iceland, Liechtenstein, Norway and Switzerland can enter Germany without a visa. They don´t have to hold a visa or any kind of permit neither for entering nor for working in Germany. They enjoy the right to move and work freely within EU as long as they carry a valid document of identification. If you are a citizen of those countries and you plan to live permanently in Germany, you only have to register at the local residents´ registration office which usually is located within the municipality.

    Also third-country nationals who are relatives of an EU-, EEA- citizen or of a citizen of Switzerland enjoy the right of freedom of movement. This signifies that spouses and descendants of those entitled with freedom of movement who haven´t completed the age of 20 enjoy the right of free mobility within EU as well. The same accounts for ascendants, descendants and spouses from third countries who receive their living from a person entitled with freedom of movement. The family members who follow don´t have to prove any German language skills.

    Third-country nationals

    Citizen who originate from a country that is neither member of the EU nor of the EEA are third-country nationals. Third country nationals are obliged to have a visa for entering Germany.

    Exemption: Citizen from Australia, Israel, Japan, Canada, South Korea, New Zealand and the United States of America are allowed to enter Germany without visa. The following link directs you to a list of countries whose citizens require a visa: List of third-countries.

    However, citizens of visa free countries who plan to stay in Germany for longer than three months have to apply for a permit of residency within this time frame. This application can be submitted at the local foreigners´ registration office at the place of residence in Germany. In any case third-country nationals need to hold a work permit before they start an employment.

    Citizen of third-countries who need a visa, personally have to apply for it at the German embassy or consulate general in their home country. Information about the visa procedures and necessary documents can be found on the homepage of the responsible German foreign authority. Click here to find a list of German missions abroad (Source: Ministry of Foreign Affairs).

    Please assure that your visa or residence permit corresponds to the actual purpose of your stay (e.g. employment). Be aware of long processing times especially for visas for stays longer than three months.

    Academics from third-countries

    Blue Card EU

    The introduction of the Blue Card EU facilitates the entry to, residence in and access to the employment market of Germany.

    A graduation from a college or a university is a prerequisite for attaining the permit of residence “Blue Card EU”. In addition to that, the applicant has to have an actual job offer in Germany with a minimum salary of 52.000 € (as of 01/08/2018). Third-country nationals that start an employment in a profession, that is recorded on a white list and thus by the Federal Employment Agency officially declared to be in demand, and who receive the annual minimum wage of 40.560 €, enjoy the same advantages as Blue-Card holders.

    Blue Card holders automatically receive a permanent right of residence after 33 months when the employment contract continues. German language skills can shorten this period so that after 21 months the right of permanent residency might be granted.

    Source: BMWi

    Jobseeker´s  visa

    When you´re still in search for a job in Germany you can, provided that you completed a college or university degree, apply for a visa for the purpose of searching a job. This kind of visa gives the right to reside in Germany for up to six months. Another precondition is that financing of the living for the entire period of stay is ensured. It is not allowed to work with this kind of visa. When a position is found you have to apply for either a Blue Card or for a residence permit for the purpose of working at the local foreigners´ registration office in Germany.

    Next to the Blue Card there are special regulations regarding scientists, researchers as well as for teaching staff and executive managers.

    For further information regarding the jobseeker´s visa please click here and here.

    Source: BMWi

    Wirtschaftsregion Heilbronn-Franken GmbH | Weipertstraße 8-10 | 74076 Heilbronn | Telefon 0049 - 7131-7669-860


    Immer auf dem neuesten Stand – mit dem Newsletter der Wirtschaftsregion Heilbronn-Franken GmbH